Straight from the horses mouth and compliments of the Cooksister‘s wily eyes:
Constitutional Court ruling on overseas voting
12 Mar 2009
The Constitutional Court this morning delivered judgements in various cases concerning voting by citizens finding themselves outside the country on Election Day.
As we understand, the outcome can be summarised as follows:
1. All South Africans, registered on the voters� roll, who will be outside the country on Election Day and therefore unable to vote at the voting stations where they are registered, will be able to vote by special vote. They will be able to vote by special vote on 15 April 2009 at any South African Embassy, High Commission or Consulate outside South Africa.
2. These voters must notify the Chief Electoral Officer on or before 27 March 2009 of their intention to do so and at the same time indicate at which Embassy, High Commission or Consulate they want to vote on 15 April 2009.
3. South Africans who will be outside the country on 22 April, but want to vote at their voting station on 20 or 21 April 2009 must notify the Chief Electoral Officer on or before 27 March 2009 of their intention to do so. They will vote at the office of the Presiding Officer which will be located at or near their voting station.
The Electoral Commission is satisfied that it will be able to manage the extended special voting process successfully. The fact that only registered voters will be able to utilise the 15-day period of application for special votes as decided by the Court is within the IEC�s operational ability. We appeal to all South Africans affected by this ruling to immediately utilise this opportunity to notify the Chief Electoral Officer of their intention to vote.
For more information including the downloading of the necessary forms (VEC10), please visit the IEC website on www.elections.org.za. The completed VEC10 forms should be emailed to email@example.com by 27 March 2009 or faxed to 012-428 5566/012-428 5279 or mailed to Attention: Chief Electoral Officer, Electoral Commission, PO Box 7943, Pretoria 0001 or hand delivered to Attention: Chief Electoral Officer, Election House, 260 Walker Street, Sunnyside, Pretoria
ISSUED BY THE ELECTORAL COMMISSION
12 March 2009
For media enquiries please contact Kate Bapela on 082 600 6386
- Registered Expat voters allowed to vote abroad
- South Africans abroad have the right to vote!!!
- Shocking expat response: Elections 2009
- Are you registered to vote in the 2009 elections?
- Expats get voting in London
Popularity: 5% [?]